Friday, December 6, 2013

Friday: Phoenix Revisited (Oh Goodness Me, Not That!)

A hearty high-ho to you this Friday! We've had a lot of outdoor jerseys unveiled within the past week or so and the Vancouver ones in particular are very appealing. I'm practically disappointed that Jake88 was literally spot on with his rendition of the Ducks Stadium Series uniform. It's for one reason: chrome. While I do like the chrome logo itself, it doesn't belong on a jersey. Remove the chrome and I'm 90% happy. But in my line of vision I see bright skies ahead in the use of two alternates for the Ducks.

INDY FUEL COMP ENTRIES DUE SATURDAY





INDY FUEL COMP ENTRIES DUE SATURDAY

And now, I am going to add my own personal touch to the Friday posts here on out. I will be introducing the Ricky Points system probably for next weeks post (they're kind of like brownie points) and have nothing to do with grading a concept. I'd share how it works, but I'm debating if they should have some sort of value or if it should be like Whose Line is It Anyway? "where the points don't matter" at all.


AK Bars Kazan
Submitted by: Jake88
 Typical Kazan name. FC Rubin Kazan of the Russian Premier League sounds way too similar. However, there also aren't too much different from the current uniforms, which uses a red-and-black era Sabres cut with some additional design. I also see that Alexander Burmistrov actually wears number 69 with them, but that means nothing in a concept. This is similar only in terms of color orientation. Speaking of color, it's well distributed. This is almost a complete Atlanta Thrashers template, it appears to be a mix of two different templates, but I could be mistaken. I'm glad that multicolored pants aren't an option here, otherwise we might end up with something for Australian football's Fremantle Dockers before they went purple haze looking. I would like to see a red version of this set so I can compare it to the green, but I think the green would be my preference since the red one is only in my imagination right now.

Bili Tygri Liberec
Submitted by: Jake88
Well the good start here is that there is striping across the crest. I'm (generally speaking) a fan of that. I don't mind it splitting at the numbers, but if you do that, I would prefer it to be flat and boxy - conformed to the numbers - as opposed to round and matching the crest logo. With double outlines on numbers the same thing, they generally work for me, this is no exception. This number style (with outline) reminds me of Tampa Bay/modern-day affiliate Syracuse Crunch except without the silver. It's distinctive enough that I don't think anyone might make a connection unless someone pointed it out as I just did.

Phoenix Coyotes
Me-Ricky Mazella

If it was done properly, I wanted to see a purple Coyotes sweater. While the 'Yotes haven't had this rather art deco branding for a decade now, I took the logos that I liked and stuck 'em onto a jersey. I'd imagine that it probably looks horrible to many if not all of you out there. The pattern of a hem stripe probably hurts it but I wanted to incorporate some sort of desert-ish pattern into the uniform. It would look better with the current branding, I reckon. I recolored the above alternates and (in the spirit of the "acid trip" jersey that everyone hate that I don't mind) I faded a random design that I used for the background with all the necessary colors.      Sooo . . . does this look like an alternate, the Coyotes would have produced with this branding? That sort of was the goal anyway. Obviously this template has never existed, but just like the state lottery, "hey, you never know."

That rounds out another edition of HCI Fridays, and remember that Ricky points will be awarded starting next week. Please, please, please, please send in concepts - it's what keeps you and me going! Share the wealth, what comes around goes around, and who doesn't like good recognition now and again? Another great weekend is in store for you!

-Ricky

2 comments:

  1. I think that how it is + the "Acid Trip" jersey made white would be a good minor league set. If the Coyotes moved they could have an AHL team there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So about those out of 10 ratings....?

    ReplyDelete

HCI is a site where concept artists send in their concepts to get constructive criticism. Any comment that is profane, mean spirited, racist, or has nothing to do with hockey concepts will be removed.