Friday, January 3, 2014

Friday: Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot?

With the Winter Classic now behind us until 2015, we have officially opened this season's outdoor games. And then you have the US national teams being announced. I almost forgot about my copy of last season's NHL rules and regulations. It shows amendments n norange and has been a very good reference for jerseys as well. Speaking of almost forgetting things, I have results - results for the Creighton Bluejays competition. The results are as follows:

  1. Alan (6 Pts)
  2. Jake88 (3 Pts)
  3. Justin (2 Pts)
  4. Caden (1 Pt)
  5. Ricky {Me} (0 Pts)

Edmonton Oilers
Submitted by: Ware Creative Design

Here was a good acquisition by the Skopje Lisici a month or two ago in the HCIHL. Speaking of good things, the logos are just that - a little too big, but still very reasonable options. The back numbers and shoulder patches are also a little large. The striping meanwhile, well . . . is an interesting choice, I was thrown off because of their orientation. One uniform mismatches and the other looks more Islanders than Oilers. One thing that would be interesting to see is the Oil drop in chrome - I thought of it while looking at this concept from first glance. Everything else in these looks Edmonton-esque to the appropriate jerseys, so all business is finished. 

San Jose Sharks
Submitted by: Justin Sulpico

Very innovative, Justin thinks he is the Tampa Bay Rays management. That is to say he is creating "old" for a team that's just the opposite. But since the team has gone through at least one jersey redesign (with or without Reebok) and that the league owns the Seals' branding makes this fall through. While this is simple, I would like to see either Seals' black or blue included as an accent color here. I also would like to see the color of something in the equipment change color - the gloves to yellow, perhaps (and possibly the socks). Seeing as the font is more yellow on white, I would use that for the crest wordmark too, just to keep the unison color on white is almost always better than white on color (for me anyway, this is no exception). That should do for this concept.


In the meantime, I had this picture taken in my brand new hockey sweater! I purchased it yesterday at a local card shop before the holiday specials were over. I managed to save $75 dollars from the store price at US$38.85. I am also close to sealing a Lady Liberty jersey having the only bid as of this sentence with less than 7 hours to go. Notice that most of the time, I go for blank uniforms for one of three reasons: It's cheaper to have them embroidered after purchase than purchasing a pre-embroidered jersey, so I can put my name and number on it, and/or because I like certain jerseys blank considering player movement (it would have to be a retired number, hall of famer, or significant contributor to the team - e.g. a Stanley Cup finalist). I have a friend who owns a jersey customization business, which somewhat attributes to the first reason.

I'm glad I was able to finish my Stadium Series concepts ahead of schedule than I had figured. They were my last overall that I completed in 2013. Now that the Winter Classic is over, my focus has shifted back towards the IIHF U-21s in Malmo, Sweden. Malmo looks like a little bit of Dubai and somewhere in Nova Scotia (places I haven't been) - but very scenic indeed. But I'm actually going to tackle that Nike template for select teams if not all participating teams. I am just waiting for Olympic curling to get underway. What? I've been curling for at least a decade and I'm only turning 22 in two weeks. Maybe I'll use the participating curling countries instead. But either way, it would be interesting. You'll be hearing from me again in seven days.

-Ricky

No comments:

Post a Comment

HCI is a site where concept artists send in their concepts to get constructive criticism. Any comment that is profane, mean spirited, racist, or has nothing to do with hockey concepts will be removed.